Monday, December 2, 2013

a meaningful christmas season

Well, December is here. As I grow older I wonder, how can I go into the Christmas season and have it be more meaningful for me and my family and those around me. 


About five years ago or so I was in such a tizzy with "doing" everything. We were last minute Christmas shoppers that year and nothing suited me and I was just like, "this is not who I am or what I want to be." The rushed and hurried feeling is not one I do well. We also had no routine for the season, nothing that you could call a tradition, except go to the usual functions that we usually went to. It wasn't how I wanted to celebrate the season, it was too cold, too hurried and not always very meaningful. 


So, I purposed in my heart to make Christmas more meaningful and each year I try new things. I take extra care to find little ways to make the season more meaningful for my family and friends and myself. I'm not even sure they realize that I work at it, but nonetheless, I. do. try. 


One thing I like to do is invite family and sometimes friends to our little cottage on Christmas Eve and I use to cook the whole meal for all of us. The only problem that needed tweaking, because our family has been growing, is there is no room in my small kitchen to cook and entertain all at the same time for that large amount of folks, so we don't have a sit down dinner anymore, but we all bring snacks and appetizers. We share in bringing the food, and gift each other with wonderful eats and treats. 


On Christmas Eve we also all come with a wrapped gift and have a white elephant gift exchange. I believe we "hoot and holler" louder during this time than any other moment in the season. It is great fun. It doesn't matter what the gift is, just as long as we are together and having fun. 


As the evening progresses we play games around tables placed all through our little cottage. This year we have more room as we can utilize more of the basement since we are empty-nesters now. That is good news, we can spread out a little bit and have more fun. 


It is interesting how in four short years this has become a tradition that family members start asking me about as early as October. :) I think we would all miss our Christmas Eve together if we ended that tradition now. 


Another way I try to make the season more meaningful for the years to come is I purchased a regular tablet, there may even be a kitten on the front page, and each year I poke and prod everyone to write SOMETHING in that little tablet. For some it is a painful exercise, but I'm guessing that years down the line, that little tablet is going to be precious to all of us. We will be able spend time reviewing what we were thinking ten years back, maybe twenty years back. We can experience the children growing up and seeing what was important to them. It is a tradition I hope to hang on to, even if it isn't the most popular one. 


To make Christmas less hurried and scurried I also try to do most or all of my Christmas shopping before December 1. What a relief if I get this feat accomplished! 


Other, more personal ways I am cherishing the season is by listening to great Christmas music. I'm not talking the "holiday music" they play on the radio. You can go to Youtube.com and find some really, really good music on there. Type in a carol you especially like and listen to a few different versions of it. You can spend an hour or two relaxing and listening and watching some great productions, it can become a little worship service and meaningful. 


I am one of those who uses the Bible app on my Kindle Fire tablet and my smart phone. On the app you can find Christmas devotionals. I like laying in bed in the morning and reading through the devotionals for the day. I actually chose 2 different ones to follow and it just starts my day out right with remembering what the hustle and bustle is really about. 


I don't bake cookies and candies, so that is one less stress for me. There are enough other folks who do and I ALWAYS get my fill at various functions along the way. I chose to make other foods, I have several recipes that are my "go to recipes" for the season and I never tire of making a cheese ball or cooking up a batch of ham balls and pineapples. I find things to make that don't take a ton of my time and opt to make fresh things as we go to functions, rather than have the cookies and candies stashed away ready to go. It is a personal thing, I'm blessed that others do the cookies and candies. :) 


I also quit doing Christmas cards. I haven't fully come to grips with that idea, and feel shady when we receive cards from others. Each year that stack dwindles down though, and it is one of those things that are being left undone by many folks. I may pick this one back up, if my conscience keeps bugging me about this time each year. On a side note, I keep wanting to send birthday cards throughout the year to many folks who I would love for them to know I remember them and think of them. I will have to make this a priority in the upcoming new year, I think! 


We have one grandson. We feel, so responsible. Not for his total well-being, but to support his parents as they are raising him. We want Christmas to mean something to him which is not just about gifts and food, so last year I purchased a big pop up book with the Christmas story displayed, both in words and picture. Last year he was a little small and got bored, but I am looking forward to this year sitting together with our little family and first taking some time out to read the Christmas story to our little guy and for all of us to pause, and reflect on what the meaning of Christmas is really about. 


Personally, I love giving gifts, it is fun to think about the person and take time to think about what they might like and need, and then making the purchase, then going home and wrapping it up. I tie each gift with ribbon and bows. It is almost an obsession for me. It is part of the way I show folks who get gifts from us that I love them and want to package the gift up with a personal touch. I don't care if you don't, it is just part of the giving of myself. 


A few things I would still like to do is attend a Christmas Eve church service. Each year I find out where the services are being held, but we've never actually gone. I think it would be awesome to attend services as a family and then come home and finish the night with gifts and food. Maybe one year we will accomplish that. 


I also want to experience a sleigh ride. I think that would be so fun and our inner-children would definitely come out on a journey like that. Don't you think? 


Even more than all the things I want to do, I want to remember my Savior was born so I could have eternal life. How amazing is that? I don't want this season to go down with me just doing and doing and doing, but to also find me sitting quietly and experiencing and reflecting on and worshiping him. 


I wish you a Christmas season that is meaningful and full of worship to the King, with an added dose of  fun and fellowship in the mix. 

Lue

No comments:

Post a Comment