Tuesday, June 10, 2014

How I Deal With Depression


My heart is so full tonight. Full of emotion. Good. Bad. In-between.

Ever feel that way? 

I visited with one of my dear friends for nearly two hours tonight and in those hours she opened up and told me happy things and sad things. She remembers details as far back to even having a vague memory at one and half years of age. 

What a gift she gave me to open up and allow me to see inside her heart a little bit. 

Along that note I had a very upside down day all day today, nearly in tears at times. I despise when I feel that way. Makes me feel like an immature schoolgirl. 

There is a lot in my world that I should feel blessed about and I should never dwell on what is wrong, but some days one is faced with what is wrong more than other days and such was my day today. 

I keep reminding myself that God knows the big picture and knows what is good for me to experience and even though I don't understand the situation I'm in all the time I can rest that he knows what he is doing with my life. 

Trusting God with my life is hard for me to do sometimes. I like to plan out what is next and over and over again I keep hearing him whisper, "not now." I feel like trust is the one area that I lack discipline in and I know he has been developing that character in me over the past couple of years. 

I've learned a lot but some days I'm afraid I have to learn even more, maybe much, much more. I'm not always sure I'm up for that challenge. I'm just being honest. I don't always have everything together. I know when I write out things here on my blog I can make it all sound so good and fine, but at the end of the day not everything is always peaches and cream in my life. I battle with depression, some times more than others. I am battling with it a bit again at the moment. I really despise depression. It makes me feel low and like I'm not alright. 

One of the ways I've been dealing with my depression is getting in my car and driving around, enjoying the landscape of our area. It takes my focus off of me and I end up feeling better after I've gotten out in the fresh air and daylight. I drove around for two hours this past weekend and I got a bunch of pictures. Following you will see what was part of my therapy session. 

Enjoy my loves. 


To me, this looks like it could have been taken out in the Wild West, but it was taken right here in Wayne County, Ohio. 


This farm. 

I love it so much. 


It is just so pretty. We pass it when we go do our food shopping. 


The garden is just so lovely. 


Off in the distance to the east of the garden lies another farm. 

So picturesque.


There is something about this picture that brings me pause, I think it is the very humble, rustic sign with the new-fangled  high tech tower in the background. 


Another very humble sign. But look at its backdrop. So beautiful. 


Closed Sunday or No Sunday Sales on nearly every sign you come across in Amish Country. 


The red barn against the luscious forest and the colors so vibrant. Like something out of a well planned movie.


A pond nestled at the bottom of a long hill. 


This house and barn and windmill all seemed to be peeking at me over the hill from where I stood taking in my surroundings. I thought they looked a bit comical, so I got their picture too.


I love driveways. They bring so much character to a property. This one would be hard to navigate through at the moment, but at the end of that driveway is a little farm and I love this setting. 


Old Glory waving at folks who are passing by. So beautiful when you see this spot in person. 


A farm I found on the corner of the road. 


The house and garden that belongs to the barn in the picture prior to this one. 


A field of corn. 


How precious is this little family?



So cute! 


Cuteness, Inc!


A beautiful setting for some posies. I will share more about where these are in a later post. For now this is it. 



8 comments:

  1. Lue, I feel your pain and weight of Depression! I really suffered this winter but am doing well right now, Thank the Lord!! I really enjoy your pictures and can identify with driving around and taking in the beauty of this area.You would be welcome to come and sit on my patio and watch the many birds we feed..or take a stroll in my Shade Garden that has been my project..We even have a treehouse and a hammock you might enjoy :) Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.I also suffer from depression.I hate the way it makes me feel.I love your photos.I also find relief in taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, deal with depression and the last couple days have been difficult. I sometimes think mine is linked to barometric pressure but haven't investigated that enough to know if it's a factor. I appreciate your pictues very much and also your honesty in discussing this condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. The photos are fantastic, and that is what I love about Wayne and Holmes counties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lue, I just look so forward to your blog..I too get to feeling so down and yesterday was a "sad " day for me and then I went to meet an old high school friend at the DQ and 2 more high school and "bus riders" were able to make it and we had a wonderful visit. It made me grateful for the good things we have,,,when I left the DQ,,I thought we were all raised without much of anything,,but we all came out pretty good. All retired now and have homes to live in and cars to drive...health is always a little problem as we all age...but I came away thanking GOD for letting the 4 of us enjoy renewing our friendship

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being open about some of what you face. I also struggle with depression. Definitely gloomy overcast days make it more challenging. I love to get outside and "play in the dirt" - always seems to lift my spirits. I also enjoy taking pictures though I've allowed negative comments to take that enjoyment away recently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all the beautiful photo's. Sorry for all of you who suffer depression you are all on my prayers.

    ReplyDelete