Thursday, April 3, 2014

An Amish Man and his Toys

When I first heard about this Amish fellow through my coworkers I really only knew one thing about him -  he has a food trailer and sets it up at the local produce auction and feeds the masses who attend the auction. I knew he made really delicious sandwiches and that one of my coworkers is related to this man. But that was the extent of what I knew about this Amish man named Dan. Then one day my coworker, Bob, the relative of Dan showed me some photos of wooden trucks that 
Dan had handmade and as I was looking at the photos I knew it was something I wanted to take pictures of and show to my readers. I asked Bob, if he would ask his brother in law if I could stop by his shop to see his work first hand and take pictures to show you all. Bob said he would ask and get back to me. After a few weeks we finally all connected times and a date and so after work the other evening, Bob and I headed over the hills and dales to his brother in laws place. 

Dan, wearing his knit hat and a grin was at the door of wood shop to welcome us inside when we arrived. He took us into a nice sized room, smaller than I thought it would be, but once inside it was obvious that everything one would need to create wooden pieces of artwork were all there. 

As I spent some time looking at the pieces of art and taking in the details of the pieces Dan shared some information about his craft. The first thing I learnt from Dan is that these trucks are not carvings, but rather, they are "turnings". I kept wanting to call them carvings but finally got it in my head that when you carve it is with knives and you do a lot of whittling. Dan explained that his turnings are anything that is "round" on his artwork. The round pieces are fashioned on a wood lathe. Other pieces have been cut out with saws and sanded down into the shape and size he needs.

When I first walked into his little wood shop I stood there and observed his craft and my first question to Dan was, "How long does it take you to create one of these?" Dan smiled and gave the first of many humorous responses, "Oh, about 40 gallons of coffee worth."  I understood, he doesn't count his time, it is his love for the wood and the craft and the challenge that counts, not the time. 

Dan's wife, Anna, came out to the wood shop at some point and she was quiet, like Amish ladies generally are, watching me take pictures and listening to our conversation. She did finally join in the conversation and there was no missing how proud she is of her husband's creativeness and how supportive she is of him and all his endeavors. It was a pleasure for me to hear her talk about her husband in such a positive light.  (When a spouse has a creative talent and the other spouse allows them the freedom to work on that talent, that is such a blessing.) Anna is a really good role model for those around her, she is the picture of what a supportive spouse looks like. I think because of Anna and her encouragement and support is why Dan is as creative as he is. A very, very neat couple to say the least. 

So, here we go, I hope you enjoy the tour. I don't think I have the best camera for such close intricate details as what I tried to get, but I hope the pictures will suffice and give you an idea of what a wood-turners shop looks like and his toys. I noticed Dan referred to his art pieces as toys. So from here on out I will refer to them as toys as well. 



This is the first toy he showed me. It is all wooden, every detail, cut, turned, sanded, glued, tongue-in-groove applied and fashioned into a tractor and trailer with the logo of a local lumber store on the side. Keep in mind, every round thing on his craft has been turned on a wood lathe. 



Check out the lights on top of the tractor. Intricate details. 
In the background you see an electrical outlet. Like many Amish Dan uses a generator to power his lights and his shop tools.



One of the wheels up-close and personal. 



The back of the trailer. Those doors swing open. Details!



A closer look at the tractor. 



The step going into the cab and the fuel tanks. 



Next toy. A backhoe.



The other angle of the backhoe. 



A tractor, removable goose neck trailer, and a caterpillar all hand made by Dan. 





Another view.



Notice the different wood he used and also all the details.







The seat in the backhoe. 



The backhoe and the caterpillar tracks all wooden and painstakingly assembled together. They actually move.  

A Wood Turners Work Shop


It appears dark inside, but there was plenty of light, my camera just didn't do the best inside looking out, but I wanted you to see Dan's view as he is standing at his wood lathe working. 



Another view out of a window in his workshop. 


Dan has bits of inspiration all over. Here he has a map of a dump truck. 



I liked this so I got a close up. Toys and Joys! Describes Dan to a "t". He likes his toys and he comes across as being full of joy. 



Looking around the workshop I found so many unique things. I liked the two hammers hanging their, ready to be used.


Belts hanging from the ceiling. And electrical cords. 



There is no real ceiling in the workshop and the studs are showing and Dan has utilized some nooks up there to tuck away items like these saw blades. 



One wall of his workshop holds tools and inspiration. The poster hanging there is full of pictures of wood turned bowls. Inspiration for Dan to look at when he wants to refer to something as he works on another toy. 



Every nook of his workshop is full of tools, big ones, little ones, all have a purpose as he fashions new toys. 



Wood turning tools, all nice and neat on this shelf with holes to store them on. 










I'm convinced that every Amish building has a clock. This is Dan's clock. 
In prior posts I've made note of clocks on farms and in other wood shops.







Out behind the workshop you will find Dan's generator that powers Dan's tools and lights in the shop. 



Back inside Dan shows me this catalog that he uses to purchase interesting wood for his turnings. I could tell this catalog brings him hours of delight, browsing and dreaming. 
The Wood Turners Catalog.



While I was making my way around Dan's workshop taking pictures I looked around and this is what I saw. Oh my! That is a really big pocket knife! 



And it works! 

Of course! 

Did you expect anything else? (insert smiley face right here.) 



And he does more! This is a lock and key and they work!



Closed.



Open.


Key hole and Initials. 



When Dan presented this to me he said in Pennsylvania Dutch - "Chpook in da nevil". I was like, "Huh?" and he went on to say it is called - "Ghost in the Mist" - This was one solid rectangular piece of wood and with his wood lathe, and some rubber bands, he fashioned this "toy". The rings don't come off the stick and there are rings inside the egg like center. See next photo. 


Again, this was all one block of wood and none of those rings come off the stick. It really is amazing to hold and look at and wonder how he did it, even when he explains it to you. 



A wooden goblet, almost "biblical" in feel. Made of pear wood and so light and dainty. It is a beautiful piece. I didn't know pear wood would be so light, but now I know. 



This is a beautiful vase made with maple wood. The wood grain in this piece is so pretty. The vase is solid and heavy. 


A pen in the shape of a bullet. Made by Dan. 



And there are the duck calls! Dan brought these out and laid them on his table saw and said, "Duck Dynasty put me out of business." 
He has that same sense of humor I know so many Amish folks to have. 

A family stopped by to check out Dan's "toys" as I was finishing up taking my pictures and so we said our good byes and Anna walked out with me and Bob and I asked her if I could take a few pictures of the outside, she consented, so after I moved my car, so her brother could leave, Anna and I walked through their yard and she talked about some of the other things that Dan has created on their property. I was struck at how multi-talented this man really is. As Anna talked about the various things I could just feel the support she has for her husband and his creative side. She discussed some of their dreams for the future. Personally she hopes Dan will slow down and be able to work in his work shop more. Not only does he work the food trailer, but he also mows grass at four different graveyards, one taking him 12 hours each time he mows. He also works part time for the township they live in and at the end of the day there don't seem to be enough hours in the day to fulfill all their dreams. 


They live on the edge of a woods and part of it they have created into a wonderful little retreat. 



Steps leading to their little haven from the workshop. 



Brick work in the grass for the picnic table and the patio in the background.



The patio that holds a pizza oven and provides shelter for them as they are cooking and barbecuing and entertaining guests.



Dan laid all the stones for their patio, laying out designs in the grass before he attempted placing them in their final resting places. You would think he had done many patios before this one. 



He created a star design under the shelter of the patio. 



The pizza oven. 



Anna explained that they have a group of friends who like to come over and sit around the fire and they do a lot of visiting and the menfolk decided to make a sign for their little retreat. "What's said in the woods, stays in the woods." I have a feeling many a secret and confidence is shared under the trees and around the campfire.


A welcome sign hanging on the shelter. 



The pizza oven closer. I had to stop in the next night to get another couple of pictures I wanted to really put in this post and Dan came back out to meet me and he told me in great detail how they work this pizza oven and what they can make in it. He wants to try and use it like a smoker some day soon. Maybe do a brisket in there. He also said it takes four minutes to make a 12 inch pizza in this oven! Now talk about fast food! He said the grandchildren always rather have pizza than anything else when they come over. 



The inside of the oven. 


Their campfire ring. This is where they sit and visit and spill their secrets with their nearest and dearest friends. I told Dan I would love to come sit around this campfire one summer evening and experience this little retreat with them. 






Part of the landscaping around their little retreat. I have a feeling in the summer time, this is a thing of beauty. 




A couple little spring flowers were blooming already. 



The hydrant by the patio and you can also see the detail in the wall of the patio. 



More spring flowers.



A Baltimore Oriole feeder.  



They have a Wisteria tree in the front of their retreat and this is a seed pod from the tree. Dan told me, "There are probably hundreds of seeds in the grass now and we will have to try and see to it they don't grow because they are a real mess to keep clean." Their vines tangle over everything they come in touch with. 

When I was taking pictures the second day, Dan told me that in the summer on their "off Sunday" they cook breakfast out on their campfire and anyone is welcome to stop by for breakfast. Their friends know this and it sounds like they have very few breakfasts alone on those Sunday mornings. (Amish folks only go to church every other Sunday and so they have an "off Sunday.") 

The only regret I have of this post is that I don't have a picture of Dan and Anna to show you. They are such a sweet couple, a couple who knows how to have fun and what is important in life. Dan told me, "You see that pizza oven over there? That is our Florida trip. We prefer to spend money on some things around here and have it for a long time to enjoy rather than go travel and come back and have nothing to show for it." I understand his logic, it makes sense when you think of it like that. He is busy pouring money and himself into creating a haven of rest and relaxation for them and their family and friends to enjoy often. She is busy working alongside him, maintaining the property, encouraging him to work on his newest creation and then both of them together stopping to smell the proverbial roses with their family and friends. 

And speaking of roses. Dan acknowledged he was also getting into rose gardening. He likes them. He has a few. I was thinking they told me how many, but I can't remember the number. At one point he paused and said,"I'm not sure how many of them made it over the winter, but we will see." I hope they all made it over this hard winter, but if they didn't, I am sure Dan will persevere and one day there will be glorious rose gardens neatly tucked in all over their yard and thriving. 

My thoughts as I end this post? I just fell in love with this couple. They are such an example of how more of us should be. Work hard, for sure, for sure, but also take time to play, to relax, and enjoy the company of others. Many of us could take a page out of their book when it comes to supporting the other spouse when they have special talents. The surprise was all mine, because I thought I was going to see a few "carvings" and ended up understanding the difference between a carving and a wood turning and I also got a whole other element of this couple together, creating a restful haven for their family and friends. 

What an absolute pleasure this was. I want to go back and take pictures of their haven when it has some color. I have permission. I would almost venture to bet my husband and I will find ourselves around their campfire one night this summer enjoying a pizza that comes out of that pizza oven. 

Dan and Anna, I know you will be reading this post on your son's computer and I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed stopping by your work shop and getting a tour of it and your little retreat in the woods. You have been a blessing to me and I want to thank you for allowing my readers to a look/see inside an Amish couple's life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You truly are special folks.  

If you enjoyed this, you might want to go over to my Facebook page and "like it" if you have not done so before. I always post my updates on Facebook so folks know when I have another post up on my blog. Also, if you think anyone else would enjoy my blog, please share with other folks. 







2 comments:

  1. great story. such fun you will have there when you go back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT post and story, sounds like a very lovely couple who have their head screwed on straight!! =)

    ReplyDelete