Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Amish Wedding Pictures

In September, actually on Bert and my 29th wedding anniversary, we attended the wedding of one of Bert's nieces. I asked my sister in law if she was ok if I took some pictures, of course, I wasn't allowed to shoot any photos of the folks, but I did try to get the gist of what an Amish wedding looks like.

 (Tip...if you double-click on one of the pictures in my posts, they will all come up together and you can click through them and see more detail.)

When we first arrived we saw this sign. I just loved this humble little sign. There were no signs for cars, we just parked along the roadside.




My husband's truck beside the buggies. When I looked back to take the photo, it hit me this was a perfect picture for us, the before and after mode of transportation if you will. I like the contrast.




A little creek flowing through my sister in law's property.  The duck family was busy paddling around when I paused to take this shot. You will see more of this creek in a few pictures.





The horses were tied up to trees as their owners were participating in the wedding celebration.




Typically Amish bridal tables are made around a corner with the bride in one side of the corner and the groom on the other side. Sometimes they change it up and they place a board in the table to make it possible for the bride and groom to sit side by side as you see in this picture.






The tables we dined at follow, they can serve at least 200 folks at a time.





The bridal couple tablewaiters were discussing something before dinner.



Wilma, the bride, marked the wall with their wedding date. It is also our anniversary date, so, I took a picture of it. 




My husband. I asked him to "pose" so I could get a good shot of that tent in the background. He made a joke about me taking pictures where I'm not supposed to just before I took the picture. Look at that grin! Love him! And his humor!




Why I took this picture has nothing to do with the wedding but to show you the solar panel. The Amish are using solar panels for so many things. They can even wire their homes now so they can use electric kitchen appliances and sewing machines and lights.

Electricity is still considered to be too worldly. I can't explain the way they process their rules and regulations, I can only tell you how it is and sometimes show you what it looks like.

(On this subject...I have to watch that sarcasm doesn't rear its big, ugly head.)




Wedding presents. Under another tent.




This scene is at every Amish wedding. The ladies are trying to get kitchen towels dry so they can reuse them. Lots of dishes to wash on wedding day.



More gifts under the tent.




More horses waiting.





So here is what made my night. There were all these little guys playing on the bridge in my sister in law's driveway. I believe they were throwing gravel at the ducks you saw a few pictures back.






Another view of my sister in law's property. I like the driveway, very inviting.




I wish I could've taken more pictures, more with people in the pictures, but I took as many as I could without becoming a nuisance to the Amish folks who were there. Some Amish are very sensitive to having pictures taken, while others are a little bit more relaxed about pictures, this was a situation where I had probably done enough.

I hope you enjoyed them.

Lue





2 comments:

  1. enjoyed reading this and looking at your photos. I took some pics of my niece's wedding in KY, like you, I wish I could have taken more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca, I know what you mean. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. My favorite ones are of the little fellows on the bridge. Do you have a blog? I would love to stop by. Blessings, Lue

    ReplyDelete