Friday, November 8, 2013

I Don't Wanna be a Puppet on a String

    Lately I've been thinking about conviction. A lot. I observe folks and how they live their lives, what they say, what they talk about, what they do and how they do it. The folks who walk the earth with conviction - you can tell who they are. They aren't consumed with the latest fads, they are content, at peace, and wise. They are settled, secure, and live an unselfish lifestyle. They leave an example that is inspiring and motivating for those of us who are still working on our lives.
Honestly, I probably have more questions than answers on this subject. I figure there are a couple of "laws" we abide by or don't abide by. There is the moral or ethical law and the spiritual law. These two sort of stood out for me. I'm guessing we would all say that we follow these laws to some degree, we don't even think about them, they are like second nature for most of us.
The moral or ethical law: We all have our morals or ethics, correct? We may not have the same ones as our next door neighbor, but if asked, we could name a few morals or ethics we believed in and stood for.
The spiritual law: Almost everyone I know would say they are Christian. In recent years we all seem to define that in various ways. In my neck of the woods and the folks I rub shoulders with would say they are Christ followers and try to do what is right. Others would tell you if they follow the rules of their church they have hope they will get to heaven. It is their spiritual law.
But is that enough? Do we know what we believe? Do we know what we stand for? Spiritually? Politically? Morally? What about our health? What is over the edge for us? What is OK? What is confusing? So many questions when you really start to ponder on these things.
There were several news stories out there recently that got me thinking more about some of these questions. I will link to a couple such articles and give you my thoughts.
This mother came out and said what was on her heart and did a pretty good job "saying it". She doesn't believe in the modern day parenting methods and she articulates it so well. It is refreshing to read a younger person's post who is wise and knows what she believes in. She has convictions and she is living them out. Awesome!  (Anyone parenting? Hop over there and read her thoughts, it will make you think.)
In this story, the young lady drew the bib with the number 666 to run in a race. Her convictions wouldn't allow her to be associated with that number. She voluntarily dropped out of the race. I wonder how much it hurt her to do so, obviously she has a love for competition and running. I am sure it cost her a lot to withdraw from the competition. Made me think about what I stand for. Do I know? Would it have mattered to me. I could think..it is "just a number" who cares if it is also associated with Satan. I'm not making an observation on the young lady, if she should or should not have, I'm saying, she had a conviction that made her stand out and she likely knew she faced ridicule from some of her peers and others around her that day - as the story broke and made headlines. This made me really think about what I believe in and stand for. Do I know? For sure?
The third story, I won't link to, because there is so much goop out there, I'm not sure what is true and what is not. Most of us have heard about the little Amish girl who has/had cancer and she was being forced by the hospital and courts to have some chemo treatment. People were appalled from all sides and the family suffered intensely from reports I read. The father was reported to have had a nervous breakdown because of the whole ordeal. Reportedly the family has now escaped to Canada and refuse to comply with the court and doctor's orders. I don't know what is right or wrong in this case, that is not my point, my point is that these parents are standing up for what they believe in. Their little girl doesn't want treatment and the family is trying to honor her wishes best I can tell. They've uprooted their lives, their family, and have fled because they felt there was no other way. Can I even fathom that kind of conviction?
At the end of the day, I want to know what I stand for, what I believe in and what those convictions are for sure. My intentions aren't to get all preachy and act like I have all the answers. But I want to say that I want Jesus' law written in my heart  and on my mind. I want to glean from other's very brave lives and brand that kind of example to my person. With our country becoming so politically correct about EVERYTHING, I don't want to be a sheep, and just follow the most vocal and intimidating, but I want to say it and do it like these folks I linked to or wrote about. I also don't want to slide into heaven by doing everything right by what the church said. I want to take that responsibility to know why I believe what I believe in, there seems to be more peace in doing life that way.
Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever. Psalm 119:152 (NIV)       
Thinking about this post today an old country song came to my mind and I pulled it up and at some level it speaks to what I'm trying say here. The person who wrote this song understood knowing what they stood for.
You've Got to Stand for Something or You Will Fall For Anything
Now Daddy didn't like trouble, but if it came along
Everyone that knew him knew which side that he'd be on
He never was a hero, or this county's shinin' light
But you could always find him standing up
For what he thought was right

He'd say you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

Now we might have been better off or owned a bigger house
If Daddy had done more givin' in or a little more backing down
But we always had plenty just living his advice
Whatever you do today you'll have to sleep with tonight

He'd say you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

Now I know that things are different than they were in Daddy's days
But I still believe what makes a man really hasn't changed

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
copied from www.cowboylyrics.com  
Just my thoughts!
Lue

No comments:

Post a Comment