Monday, November 25, 2013

thanksgiving preparations

Thanksgiving preparations are in the air.

I can smell them in my "air" tonight. After work I went to my favorite local bakery and purchased three loaves of homemade bread and brought them home, cut the loaves into bite sized cubes and drizzled melted butter on the cubes and toasted them in the oven.

Four cookie sheets full of bread cubes are cooling off on my kitchen counter at this very moment and the buttery toasted bread smells waft through our little cottage and makes you just feel wonderful.

  
I don't need all those toasted cubes for Thanksgiving Day, but as a tip for those of you wondering how much dressing I'm making, when I toast bread cubes I toast plenty and freeze some so I don't have to mess with that step the next time I'm wanting to make dressing.

Our family really loves dressing, a lot. I make a few big batches during the year and freeze it in quart size containers and usually give some to both of the kids for quick and easy meals when they are on the run. 
We are hosting a Chinese couple at our home this Thanksgiving Day if all goes as planned. I spoke with the fellow tonight and his sister is flying in from China or somewhere, (not sure where she is flying in from) that day and so we have to make the time work for him to go pick her up. I really hope it can all work out so they can come over and experience an American Thanksgiving.

It has been exciting for me to try and figure out things to do so they really experience an American Thanksgiving. I want it to be meaningful for them and authentic.

So, a few preparations, lots of thoughts and prayers into the day and hoping for the best.

Our Thanksgiving menu thus far:

smoked turkey
mashed potatoes
dressing
corn
green bean casserole
sweet potatoes
gravy
dinner rolls
tossed salad
cranberry salad
date pudding
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
cherry pie

We generally don't have that many dishes, but I wanted to share a big variety with our out of town guests so they can get the feel of what Americans eat in general. I've been reading blogs of what others are making and I think it is along the same lines as our menu.

I'm off to finish my grocery list for my husband to purchase tomorrow on his way home from work.

Happy Thanksgiving Preparations to all the cooks and hosts and hostesses out there!

 
Lue

No comments:

Post a Comment