Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Few Random Thoughts on a Sunny November Saturday

Wow! 

Jam-packed full schedule of late. Did everyone have a nice Thanksgiving weekend? We were busy beyond measure. If I had my druthers, I would never be that booked full. I kind of get lost when I'm so busy, but tis the season and I never try to fight it too much, but try to go with the flow and then "let go" of other things. One thing I had let go of was writing blog posts. 


I missed writing, and like anything, if I don't do it much, then once I get back to it, it takes me awhile to warm up the creative muscles.


That's life.


My doctor told me yesterday that my blood pressure elevated and it is concerning enough that I HAVE to make a little bit of a lifestyle change. Insert sad face. I love to cook and bake. I love tasty foods. I love cooking for my family. 


I think I need a new hobby. I hope if I adopt a bland diet (low salt) then the creativity for my writing expands and it will all even itself out a bit. wink wink


{Please Lord.}


While on the subject of food. I found a new cooking show to watch. It is called "The Farmhouse Rules" and it shows on Sundays and I just love it. She was making bread pudding last week and I thought, "You know, I've always wanted to taste bread pudding, now is the time to make some." 


So, I did. I made bread pudding using The Farmhouse Rules recipe for it and it was absolutely delicious. I don't have a picture, I so wish I had taken a photo, but I was too busy, and forgot. It was beautiful, a nice dark color on the white cake plate. I did serve it on the dessert bar at Thanksgiving dinner and I got a couple of compliments on it and a couple folks took some leftovers home as there was no way I was able to eat all of it by myself. 


I learned another lesson by baking the bread pudding. Don't wait, if you are wanting to try something, find a recipe and make it. Don't wait for years wondering what it might taste like. I actually want to challenge myself to cook more new recipes, maybe one per month. Albeit the recipes need to be on the bland side. Insert another sad face right here. 


I haven't been able to get out and about to shoot some good pictures lately, but I did find a few in my camera I thought I would share today.


Amish Farms




I just found it interesting where they placed their clothes line, kind of between two barns. I wondered who decided to place the clothesline there? Was it because there was big enough space for a nice big clothesline? Or did they think about it at all? Anyone who lives in the country and has a clothesline knows the dilemma of hanging clothes on the line and bringing clean laundry inside that smells of manure. 


When I was shooting these pictures I was sure I smelled manure and downy all in the same breath. 


(Don't get me wrong, I'm not passing judgement on them, it was just an observation I had and found amusing. Crazy things amuse me.) 






I liked the trees I was shooting through more than the farm in these pictures. It just made it fascinating for me. I'm pretty sure I can't explain it.


I hope you enjoy anyway. 


My family has been blessed with several hams and my family is not a big ham fan. So, I make ham balls. My kids send any hams, they receive, to me so I can make them into ham balls. I have three hams unthawed and so I am going to go spend several hours making ham balls and then I will freeze them in quart size containers to use as appetizers over the Christmas season and also give some to the family. My family does love ham balls, just not slices of ham. 


Thankful:


For family who is open to allowing others to share the holidays with us. Although our Chinese folks couldn't make it, we ended up with a couple other folks spending Thanksgiving with us who didn't have family to spend it with. 


For God and his grace and mercy shown to me every day.


For our church family. They hold me accountable in a way I've never been held accountable before. I cherish that. They promote spiritual growth and that is what I desire more than anything. 


For you - my readers on my blog and Facebook. You give me hope that I might be able to become a writer one day. 


Blessings!


Lue

No comments:

Post a Comment