Tuesday, April 22, 2014

my amish country

I love living in Amish Country. 

There is so much to see. Things might be dead in the little Amish towns on a Saturday night, but nothing compares to taking a Sunday afternoon drive through my Amish Country and allowing my eyes to feast on all that is available to my eye's pleasure. If I could bring each of my readers on a real Sunday afternoon drive with me, I would. 

I carry my camera with me almost all the time, barring I have to keep it home because I am recharging the batteries. Some folks might say it has become an obsession because my camera is almost always nestled inside my handbag, I am almost always prepared to take a picture or two. 

This is my latest show and tell. 


Last week when we had a cold spell and some snow, it was so cold that when I came out of the store and wanted to open the trunk of my car I saw this icicle growing up. It is right in front of the "R" in Prix. (So, now you all know I drive a dirty black Grand Prix)  


You know that moment you feel like someone is watching you? Well, I was trying to get a good picture of this upside down icicle and it took some maneuvering and I am sure I just looked like a crazy lady taking so long to take a picture or two of the trunk of my car and sure enough when I looked around there was a young fellow sitting in his nice warm truck watching the show. He had this look on his face like, "lady, you are crazy and I can prove it." 

I don't care, I have nothing to prove to anyone. This is the part of life that I like, when I just don't care what other folks think about what I am doing. There is so much freedom in that...and it brought me a chuckle imagining what he was thinking. heh heh


Okay, so, if I had to make up a story for the two men in the next few pictures, I would assume they were part of the Amish Mafia and a "transaction is about to happen." 

See for yourselves.







See what I mean? wink wink


We had to drive behind these young chappies for a little while, long enough for me to get a shot through Mr. Wonderful's truck window. An Amish pick up truck...hauling wood for their parent's cook stove, I'm guessing.


Another Amish pick up. A smaller version. 


Recently Mr. Wonderful and I went to shop for a porch swing and we were told of this place a solid hour from our house, so we made the trek to this place of business and they had a lot going on. They were "excavating the ground with horses and some make-shift plow thingy. I didn't get too many pictures, but I did get the laundry waving in the wind over a very dirty ground underneath. The elements in the picture didn't seem to go together really well, but it was the reality of the day. 


This horse and buggy waiting patiently on his or her owner to leave. 


Finally the young lady and her little girl emerged from the business and here they are getting ready to leave. I wanted to take a more close up picture, but I can't bring myself to get too close, I still try to respect them to a certain extent. If I totally respected their wishes I would never snap any pictures. 


Mr. Wonderful and I own three acres of land. Two of those acres are an actual field because we used to have sheep and raise lambs. Now it stands empty, except for our Amish neighbor now grazes his horses in our field. It helps us because we have less mowing to do and it helps him out with more pastureland for his horses. The other Saturday he and his brother were hauling manure all over the fields. I stepped out into our garage and got a couple good pictures for you all to see. 


I think the fellow in the read shirt is his brother. 


And here is our neighbor and I noticed he had his little girl with him. How cute is that? 


There they are again. 


If you click on this picture you will see the little girl on her daddy's lap inside the bobcat while he is loading the manure spreader with another load of manure. 


Another angle. 


I don't know, this is not so pretty or anything, just some laundry on the line. Maybe I should have omitted this one. Anyway, I uploaded it, so here it is. 


Another fellow plowing his field. I love the dark brown of the freshly plowed ground. 

All these pictures were mostly taken on a whim, just by stopping at the roadside, pulling my camera out of my handbag and clicking away. I have more pictures that I hope to share soon. It is time for me to hit the hay though. Tomorrow morning always comes way too soon. 

If you are new to my page, and you would like to stay connected, please go to my Facebook page and "like" it. I try to add additional thoughts and pictures over on Facebook. I enjoy getting to know my readers so please introduce yourself to me. I'd love to hear from you. 





2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying looking thru your lens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at your pictures of the Amish country. It is one of our favorite places. And I have many pictures of laundry blowing in the breeze. We are off to Lancaster this weekend. Next weekend my sister and I are heading for Ohio Amish country and our first stop will be Miller's Dry Goods.

    ReplyDelete