Saturday, April 5, 2014

Creeks, Farms, and Trees

 Most generally Mr. Wonderful and I spend Friday evening out with friends, usually our Amish friends and we go out to eat and maybe some shopping or come back to our house to watch some television, or we go driving around checking out the landscape. Because our week had been so busy we didn't make plans to go do anything last night. When I came home from my 8-5 I asked Mr. Wonderful if he would want to go out to take pictures of creeks in our area. He looked at me like, "say what?" but smiled and said, "sure, let's go." 

I can't tell you how supportive my husband is of my whims, especially when he knows it is something for my blog. He loves when I write. He has always been my number one supporter, and so he was "game" to go take pictures of creeks. 

Why creeks? I don't know, just because. I happen to drive by a couple creeks each day and I've been noticing them and just wanted to go capture a few on camera last night to see what they look like in a picture. So, for a tour of what we saw last night, please keep on reading. 

Creeks

This creek is actually flooded and in parts is all over the farmer's field. I have to say as I stare at this picture I can't help but notice how the trees and the sky just kind of make their own picture. How beautiful! 


Here is part of the flooding. The water is so powerful when you stand at the side of the road and just take it in. The large trees are absolutely trapped in the water, no place to go, but stand still. 


This reminded me of the Everglades for some reason. It has a swampy feel to it for me. 


I love this creek, it knows where it is going and doesn't dilly dally around, it is flowing quickly, in a pretty straight line at that. 


A little farm creek, I love the rocks, all nice and round, from years of wear and tear of the water. 


See, here the rocks are a little bit more profound. 


There she goes, flowing pretty swiftly, even if she is a smaller creek. The waters are so heavy, I think that is why the creeks are all flowing so fast. 


Loving the bend in this creek. 


Some greenery by this creek and a little bit of overflow. 


Not pretty at all, but it is a creek. 


The green is coming through by this creek as well. I think this will be a beautiful picture later in the summer when everything is green. I will return. 


I found some ducks swimming on a farm pond. I just love this picture. The waves in the water show how windy it was last night. The ducks didn't mind, they just kept paddling along. It was cold too. I was chilled to the bone by the time we returned home. I ended up in bed with the heating pad on me because I could not get warmed up after our excursion.

It was worth it! 


And a family of geese, see the ripples in the water. It was windy as all get out yesterday. 

Farms 

What can I say? It is a farm on a hill. A pretty large farm. If you have been following my blog for any length of time now you will know that I love having something act like a barrier between me and what I am shooting. For some reason it feels more artistic to me. I feel like the whole picture is being used up. Maybe I can't explain what I'm thinking, doesn't matter, I like the twigs in the picture. 


The farm is on a bend and a road lies between the house and the barn. I always wonder about those set ups. I am sure it is a major concern for families with small children running back and forth from house to barn. 


For me, this is the ugliest farm we have in the area, only because of the faded yellow on the barn. I wish they would paint it barn red. That would be my preference. I love the red barns the best. 


Some green in this picture. Hey, we are starting to see signs of Spring!


The house to the farm above. I just liked it so I uploaded it so you could see it too. 


Lot's of silos on this farm. I don't think it is an Amish farm. 


Beautiful red buildings. Love the red, white and blue in this picture. 


I found a barn peeking up over the hill.


Sometimes when I shoot a picture and then come home and look at it, I see how wonderful it really is. I love the gray/blue door and the almost starkness of the picture. Can I say "haunted" when I know that only a few seconds earlier little kiddos were on the porch checking me out and then when they saw me lift my camera they scattered into the house. I was actually taking pictures of milk cans by the road when this all occurred. 


Random Pictures


In the middle of nowhere, on a random fence post there is a no hunting/no trespassing sign. I found it a bit odd in our neck of the woods. 


A man door set into the fence. Must be the farmer often passes through this fence and decided to save himself some time. I don't know, maybe I'm incorrect in my assumptions, but it sounds good to me. 


Milk cans, but then I notice the driveway and the house right at the end of the driveway. I bet this is beautiful in the summer time. Notice the very muddy driveway. This kind of Amish (Swartzentruber) aren't allowed to gravel their driveways. At the moment when you are out and about, you will see these black buggies with "muddy yellow" wheels trotting down the road. they have to wade the mud because there is no other way for them. The milk cans at the end of the driveway are because no truck would ever make it in that kind of driveway without getting stuck so the farmer has to bring the milk to the end of the driveway. 


This was supposed to be all about the milk cans, but the tree and the sky outshine any milk cans that may or may not be in the picture. Sometimes it just happens that way. I love it. 


This dog was watching me take pictures. He was settled in his spot, never once did a "woof" come out of him. You can tell he was keeping watch, but he wasn't excited in the least little bit. I like dogs who don't over react. Oh, and the tree branches framing the picture? Love, love. I also like the leaves on the lawn, looks soft and comfortable for a nice dog to relax on.


Cement bridge guard rails. LOVE! 

Trees 

This tree was a bit comical to me, it felt to me like it was pointing to go thataway. 


A line of trees and a rolling gray sky. How pretty. 


An orchard through a fence. Looks stark and cold right now. 


I said before how windy it was last night, these branches attest to it. 


1.

And now, to my very favorite moment last night. Standing there looking up at this tree, high on a hill, I was taken aback at how beautiful it look against the rolling sky. I'm not sure which shot I like best, this one or the next one. I would love feed back from my readers which picture you like best. One or Two?


2.

I wish I could show all of you in real life what I get to experience every day. This is my way of sharing my country with folks who don't get to experience it like I do. I hope you enjoy my pictures and my thoughts. If you do, and know of someone who would enjoy, I invite you to share my blog and/or Facebook page with them. If you are new to my blog, and you would like to stay connected, you can go to my Facebook page and "like" it and you will get all my updates and periodically I even do giveaways, so there is always something to look forward to. 


1 comment: