Thursday, February 13, 2014

my mr. wonderful

As I was coming home from my 8-5 tonight I noticed how the sun was causing the scenery all around me to be absolutely fantastic, so I called Mr. Wonderful up on the phone and after our "hi, how are you's, I asked if he would mind running and grabbing my camera, then taking the steering wheel when I get home, and drive me around to my spots before the sun went away? He consented, and when I entered the garage he was ready to jump in and take the helm so that I would be free to just shoot pictures. 

I told him where I wanted to go and we were off. We had several miles before we got to the first spot and so he "lectured" me a bit and said, "I know you like to take pictures and put them on your blog, but you need to write more. People don't just want to see pictures of horses and scenery." 

Honestly, I was a bit hurt for a moment. I then started to defend myself and said, "Well, I don't know what to write right now. I'm a little bit dry and I like my pictures. My friends like my pictures," I said with some extra emphasis on the "like". 

We continued driving for a little distance, both silent and in our own thoughts. I broke our silence and asked him, "do you really like what I write?" He nodded yes. I then teased, "So, you just want me to write more stuff so you can read it, huh?" Mr. Wonderful smiled at me and says, "Yeah, I liked that "Housewives" stuff you came up with. Write some more fiction like that. You can come up with anything." I smiled and my heart felt warm, because I have something so special, my number one supporter sits next to me through all of life and he thinks I can do anything. 

I am totally aware that I am blessed beyond measure. My husband loves and adores me, I have no questions ever on that subject and I completely trust him. So, I am here tonight to write about him. I can't wait to see what he has to say after he reads this. wink wink! 


He loves our family so much. A great father and grandfather. He is always there, for all of us. 

He believes in all my dreams and schemes. He is my biggest supporter and cheerleader. Sometimes it takes him awhile to agree, but once he sees that it is something valid, he is right there for me. The biggest such thing was allowing me to go to school for a year about ten years ago or so. I was in my late thirties...it wasn't the thing Mennonite ladies my age did much, and for sure not Amish ladies. He didn't like it at first, but then saw my grades and later my pay check and has been supportive of me being a career woman since then. (Having a career helped me with my depression to keep my mind active and my life in a routine.) 

He takes care of all the finances. I probably look inside our check book, maybe 4 times a year. Truth! He takes care of everything. I always say, I have to die before him, because I won't know what to do with the money if he is gone first. 

He feels responsible to help me around the house, especially now since I work full time and am trying to write a book plus do a few other things besides. He unloads almost every load of dishes in the dishwasher, and helps some with the laundry. It helps so much that he is helpful that way. 

He has walked with me to the crest of Niagara Falls one very early morning so I could "experience" the falls without other people around. There he stood and watched me drink in the falls because I never felt I could fully experience them with so many folks around during the day time. He would have rather stayed in the warm hotel room and slept, but he knew that I wanted to "experience" the falls my way...so he obliged me. 

He loves to fly and has been to various places without me. Usually on a business trip. I don't like to fly and this pains him a lot. It is frustrating for him, because we can't see things like he would like to because of my fear of flight. I completely hold him back in this and he loves me still. 

He drives the car so that I am free to snap pictures on a whim. 

He reads the Bible every morning right after breakfast. Has done so for years and years. 

He loves our grandson like nothing else in the world. The two of them are so close and our grandson even has many of his grandfather's motions and actions. 

He allows me to burn a heat lamp in the barn for the cats even though he thinks it is pathetic and expensive. "The cats have fur and straw to nestle in", he tries to reason with me, but I still think the heat lamp serves a purpose and continue to burn it...and he pays the bill without a peep. 

One time he went with me to a week long couples counseling. We spilled our guts that week and cried and forgave each other and it drew us closer to each other. Marriage has been hard and not easy, and we are two completely opposite people and yet we have made it this far. 

He loves making lattes in our cafe at church. He does so 2-3 times a month. 

He loves serving on things like the food committee, unlike myself. I just feel in the way. I can never seem to find a niche...but he can find all kinds of ways to be helpful. 

He has been at his company for almost 30 years. Come April 1 it will be his 30 year anniversary. 

He loves watching Bonanza, Duck Dynasty and anything from Alaska. He also likes to watch The Big Bang Theory and The Office...I've dubbed him, Delbert Cartwright. I think it suits him well. As does Mr. Wonderful. 

I'm blessed that this man is in my life. He has been through the hellish nightmare of my depression and working through my being abused as a child, he has been there with me in the midst of the storms of being shunned and all the little things in-between. Some days and years are better than others, but at the end of the day I know he loves me, and I love him and we have learned how to do life together without bringing the other down. We build up rather than tear down. We are careful how we say things to each other and we try not to fight over small things...and the big things have become less and less an issue. 

God has been good to us. He has helped us figure out a few things. He has built character inside of us and used that to help us balance each other out. We will never have the perfect relationship, but if we continue to work at it, it can only get better.

I love you Mr. Wonderful! You are the best! You make me feel loved and cherished and wonderful. Thank you for all your support and love. You truly are Mr. Wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment