Friday, January 31, 2014

a symbol of love

A couple weeks ago my husband and I sat in a local dive eating our breakfast one Saturday morning. I had my hair pulled back in a ponytail, no make up on my face and just glad that the other folks in the dive were mostly unkempt folks just like us that morning. 

Mr. Wonderful (my husband) and I were sitting there enjoying our scrumptious breakfast of country scramblers, home fries and toast when Mr. Wonderful looked at me and asked me what I had planned for the day. Well, I had a list a mile long and it all had to do with being at home and getting much accomplished, being half sick I knew that the list would never be fully finished, but at least I had some goals. 

But my husband had other plans that morning, he said, "I was thinking of taking you ring shopping this morning. I was thinking I should put a ring on it."  (Notice, he actually knows that Beyonce song!!! I nearly lost the food in my mouth as he said that!) Oh my goodness! I never, in a million years, thought I would EVER get to wear a wedding ring!

Let me explain. When you grow up in a religion such as the Amish religion, there is no allowance for any kind of jewelry. Maybe you can wear some medical bracelet, but no more. My husband and I have been married nearly 30 years and only in the past five years or so have I started wearing any jewelry at all, and then one day I started to wish to be able to wear a wedding ring. I'm not sure if I can put it in words what I thought it might mean to me, I guess it just seems like such a loving thing to do, to wear a ring to show the world you belong to someone. Not that the world around me doesn't know I'm married, but it is just something that ties you to your spouse, I guess. I'm doing a really awful job putting into words how I feel about this, but anyway, no matter.

About a year ago I told Mr. Wonderful that I would like for us to wear wedding rings. When I mentioned it to him, he just couldn't even imagine wearing one, felt like it would confine him in some way having something on his finger all the time. But the longing never left me. So a few months ago I showed him a simple band online of what I would want if he ever consented to me wearing a wedding band. He didn't have much to say and I kept browsing wedding rings from time to time, just like I browse for other pieces of jewelry or clothing. It is fun to dream, look, and on occasion make a purchase, right? 

So that Saturday morning when he mentioned ring shopping I was like stunned to say the least, and just like any normal lady would do, I said, "But, my hair is in a ponytail and I have no make up on, I can't go ring shopping now!" I guess there is a bit of vanity in there somewhere! (Must have a chat with God about that later on!) 

It was decided that we would go home and I would do some of the things on my list and then I could take a shower and do my hair and make up and then we could officially go ring shopping. 

Oh Joy! 

I am a pretty simple girl, so I didn't need a lot of bells and whistles, it didn't take us very long to pick out a set, pay for them, and leave the store. I chose white gold and a marquise cut diamond. The band has some small diamonds and is so dainty and pretty. They kept the rings that day to have them soldered together. 

Mr. Wonderful brought my rings home tonight and he got down on one knee, and held out the box and said a few wonderful things to me. Awe! We were both near tears. It is something that will stay with me forever. 

We aren't more married now that I have a ring on my finger, it is just that symbol of love for me that makes it special. And especially how my husband went about telling me he was taking me ring shopping and then finally bringing it home tonight and presenting it to me. Special, special stuff. I will cherish this memory forever. 

Mr. Wonderful, you make me feel loved and cherished every day. 



4 comments:

  1. aw-aw so sweet. It's one special ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story and a gorgeous ring, Lue!!! I really DOES make a girl feel special, when hubby wants everyone to know... "she's mine" :)) Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Yes, for sure, for sure makes a girl feel special. :)

      Delete