Sunday, June 1, 2014

Book Review


Under the Heavens by Thomas Nye

In this book you will meet a young lad from the city, Lenny, and how he reluctantly came to spend a summer at his Amish grandfather's farm. There are twists and turns and a girl and horses, lots and lots of horses. Lenny has a lot to learn and he has a wonderful teacher, actually a few teachers it ends up and not always in the way one would think. By the end of Lenny's time on the farm he has come to learn a lot about himself and has resolved a few issues. There are many character lessons in Lenny's story and I think would be a good story to read to your children and then talk about some of the lesson's Lenny learned. 

There is no doubt in my mind the author loves horses and knows a lot about them. He also understands the Amish and how they work a farm. It was nice to read a more "realistic" view of the Amish in a book of fiction. I find so often the Amish fiction books I've read are so far from realistic I can hardly find "Amish" in the book but for the word. Tom Nye hit the nail on the head with being authentic and realistic in his portrayal of an Amish working farm. 

For me, it was a bit of a chore to work through the first few chapters just because there was so much about the horses, but my husband read the book as well and he told me that every Amish man would love to read this book and he is planning on sharing it with his brothers. Having said that I believe it is a book that folks who are interested in the Amish and farm life in general - especially horses will want to read. I am recommending this book to anyone who is interested in knowing more about the Amish, if you want the "feel" of Amish, you will want to invest in this book because it is as true to life as anything I've ever read.

Purchase the book - Under the Heavens - Amazon Link

Like his Facebook page - Amish Horses - Facebook page


Like me on Facebook - Looking in my Rear View Mirror


1 comment: