Sunday, May 18, 2014

a full saturday


My Saturday was busy. It felt like there wasn't much room for breathing, but I did stop and breath for a moment or two along the way. I took a bunch of pictures to document the day. 

Enjoy! 



Rhubarb. First thing Saturday morning I visited my rhubarb plant and harvested a few stalks so I could make this recipe for a dessert for lunch. I've been using this Rhubarb Crisp recipe for several years now and Mr. Wonderful always asks for it. I like it with ice cream, he and his mom like it with milk. 


Backyard view. 


Ace is my tag-along.



She had to smell the rhubarb. 


I cut the leaves off and placed them on top of the garbage container, I wasn't able to pitch the leaves over the fence as they are poisonous for horses to ingest. 


Ace got bored with me and trotted off to the barn in search of food. I love the cat's path to the barn...she is walking in it. All three cats use that path when they are leaving the barn. 

Every time I see one of them using the path I kind of marvel that it never fails, the always do so. It is interesting how God has made animals...they are so predictable when you have studied their habits for awhile. 


Alley Cat...yep, couldn't go without adding one of him. He looks a bit stalker-ish in this picture. 


The finished product...Rhubarb Crisp all done and ready to be packed up to go to my mother in law's house. 


Pork and Beans dish. I had fried up a pound of bacon that I had cut up in small pieces. 


After the fat was rendered off I placed the bacon in a cast iron skillet and kept the heat on so it would continue to render a bit and crisp up. 


I added a cut up onion to the bacon grease because there is no way I was going to let that deliciousness go to waste! 


In-between cooking and baking I had a "breakfast" of coffee and a couple cookies I had purchased at the local store. Cookies made at a local bakery. 


I added 1 1/2 pounds of hamburger to the onions and bacon grease. 


And then Bushes' original pork and beans...and then added some Worcestershire sauce and a few splashes of hot sauce and the fried bacon and presto! Wonderful pork and beans to take along to dinner. 


Here they are in a nice roaster, ready to heat up later in the day. 


The third thing I made was porcupine meatballs and rice. It was our day to provide food and to stay with my mother in law. Mr. Wonderful went down to her house earlier in the morning and I stayed home and cooked and did laundry. When it was lunch time I packed up my car and headed to her house for lunch and a visit. 


I wanted to provide vegetables, but didn't want to fuss with another dish so I actually added vegetables to the top of my dish and we had a "one dish meal." There is my casserole sitting on my mother in law's table. 


A different shot of her table. I had to be careful not to get her in the picture, that is why the picture is kind of at an odd angle because she was at the other end. That blue scarf thing is an old table cloth that she uses on her table for nice, but when someone comes and we eat, we have to push it back so that we don't get crumbs on it. She told me yesterday that they received that tablecloth as a wedding gift. That would have been at least 60 years ago, I'm not sure of the exact number of years, but she is in her late 80's so it was a long time ago. 


My mother in law still lives on the home farm in the small house. On the farm, by the big farm house is this flower bed. I just had to get a picture of it. 


Near my mother in law's house was an Amish wedding. You can see many buggies lined up. 


The ceremony was in this big white tent. 


I left my mother in law's house around 1 because I had an interview to do for my next post.

Tease alert.....I found this little fellow at that place of business. You will meet "Ike" in my next post. Can you guess where I was? 


On my way home from the interview I saw this Amish lady rolling down the highway in her garden tractor and wagon. 


Our family was invited to Betsy and Allen's house for a cookout last night. Betsy was on Breaking Amish LA last year, and we have become friendly over the last six months or so. It was raining off and on and cold, so the cookout happened, but we ate indoors. The fellows are watching Allen cook the burgers...very good burgers! I had made the pork and beans and our daughter brought a salad and our daughter in law brought a yummy dessert and Betsy and Allen provided the burgers and the rest of the food. It was a delicious meal for sure! 


Here is Betsy and Allen's back yard, all prettied up for the summer. Nice plants and so woodsy back there.


A shot out there living room window. Can you imagine that in the wintertime? I bet it it simply gorgeous when the snow is falling. 


Our son and his wife. I love how they are looking at each other in this picture. 


Our daughter and her husband. So pretty. 


Mr. Wonderful's allergies were getting the best of him last night for some reason. 


Beautiful couple, Betsy and Allen and their dog Sparky. Snoopy was running around there somewhere. Cute dogs. (Thank you Betsy and Allen for having our family over for a fun evening!)


Little Guy was there too. He loved Betsy's little dogs! Here he is trying to eat a hot dog bun and not let grandma take his picture. He is so ornery! 

We had a lovely day, all the way from visiting with my mother in law to the interview and later on our cookout with Betsy and Allen. It was a good day, a full day, but full of fellowship and good food. 

Dropping into bed was bliss! 

You can find more random pictures,  thoughts and new posts to my blog on my Facebook page by clicking here - Looking in my Rear View Mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment