Thursday, January 16, 2014

a home-baked gift in the dead of january

This afternoon my friend, (she is Amish) text messaged me and said, "Stop by my house on your way home, you don't even have to get out of your car." I was like, "Hmm?", and replied, "Will do." 


When I reached her house she comes out of her house holding a bag in her hands and wearing a big smile. In the bag was a book she had borrowed from me and this plate of fabulous cookies. What a pleasant surprise! She handed me her package through the passenger side window and asked me if I was feeling any better, I said, "yes and no." She smiled and wished me to feeling better, said "good bye" and I left for home. 


When I got home my husband and I had a quick bite to eat and then I had two of these delicious confections for dessert! 


Oh mah goodness, dahlings! 


I haven't had such a delicious cookie in a very, very long time. They are so moist and soft and the frosting on the inside is fluffy and sweet, but not too sweet. YUM! I texted her back and asked, "What is the name of the cookies you just gifted me?" She replied back, "Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies." I replied, "They are dee lish us"! She replied, "I was hoping you would like them." 




My plate of Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies. Two of them are missing now. My husband doesn't like frosting, so the plate full is probably mine to enjoy all on my own. I'm gonna savor each and every one! 


Can I just say, I have the sweetest friends and am so, so blessed! What a wonderful gift on a cold and dreary January afternoon! 

I should probably answer a question I will surely be asked..."Do Amish people have cell phones?" Yes, some of them do. Amish go by district and there are different kinds of Amish. Some of the Old Order Amish and most of the New Order Amish allow their members to own cell phones. Some of them have very strict stipulations, it has to be a flip phone and can't have text messaging all the way to some have the smart phones with all the bells and whistles. My friend is somewhere in-between and is careful how she uses it around certain folks. Of course, with me, she can do what she wanna. I'm not telling anybody anything that I know, or don't know. She is allowed to text message, so I haven't disclosed anything you can't know. wink wink



3 comments:

  1. Your cookies look delicious. What a sweet friend to send them to you. Thanks for the info about the Amish. Love learning everything about them and how they live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and what a treat. I'm reading them all and enjoying them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Lena, I liked you Facebook page awhile back and when I see it I stop over and check out your blog as well. You are so artistic! I am always fascinated with what you are doing. :)

      Delete